Thursday, September 20, 2007

Competition...before the race starts

I've got a good idea what my early season race calendar is looking like for 2008, but that's my little secret for now. After that, I'm not sure but I've started looking around for options. A popular race that I've always been interested in is the Eagleman 70.3. I got on the website just to see what the dates was and this is what I found...

June 8, 2008

1.2 Mile Swim, 56 Mile Bike, 13.1 Mile Run

Registration is now closed!

HOLY CRAP!!! It's already sold out! Now, this is becoming normal for the big Ironman races but now this is trickling down to shorter races. In December 2004, I sat anxiously at the computer one early morning to sign up for St. Anthony's. At least with that one, the previous season was over. Oh well, I'll keep looking.



This brings me to the fact that I have decided to resume my triathlon career. During my "return to running/find other hobbies," I came to the realization that this is what I enjoy doing the most, swimming, biking, and running. I may not ever make any real $$ doing it but I'll continually be on the prowl for fast times and first place finishes. My return to racing will start this weekend at the Big Lick Triathlon on southern Virginia. It's an olympic distance and I'm not counting on my time being very fast, which I'm ok with (or trying to be ok with). It's off the NCTS radar and I signed up as an age-grouper instead of elite to try and take a little pressure off myself. My training is coming along pretty steady. I haven't done any hard or fast workouts, just what I would consider base miles. It should be a good 'kick in the ass' to go along with the excitment of watching the Duke 1/2 IM last weekend.



Speaking of the Duke 1/2...Alison, who I coached for her first 1/2, had a great race! Her plan was to just go out there and 'do' the race and get the experience before she focuses on time or placing goals. She had great performances in all 3 disciplines and finished 17th overall and 5th in her age group with a time of 5:31!! Incredible on such a tough course. Here's a photo from the race...note: I think she smiled the entire race!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I feel your pain... I wanted to do Eagleman as well. Good luck finding a good replacement. I might end up going with Steelhead or Rockman instead.

:-)

Jodi